How many people click through your emails? What makes a good email subject line? Becoming a great email marketer and crafting great email subject lines takes a lot of research and practice. It requires a strong understanding of who your targeted audience, what kind of device they are using to read your mailers for e.g. laptop, cell phone, tablets etc. and which browser they are using i.e. Outlook vs Gmail.
What’s In A Good Subject Line?
The average open rate for business finance mails is about 22.4% and average click ration is 3.90%. – That’s low right? Let’s say you are having a mailer database of 1000 and out of that only 217 are opening it and only 29 are clicking further. So why the numbers are not good? – Email subject lines matters!!
Knowing how tough it is to craft an eye-catching email subject line when you are sitting to design responsive email templates, it pays to know the key tactics to enhance your subscriber’s engagement.
Before we head towards best email subject lines, there are few things that majority of the email marketers forget to do is:
- Check what their target audience is expecting
- How your mailers can benefit your subscribers? Are your emails/newsletters value-added?
- Not personalizing is another aspect, that your subscribers do not feel like opening it. An email should act like a personalized invitation, letting your subscribers feel they have been personally invited.
- Keeping it short and sweet. Long sentences bore your readers. In today’s busy world one requires being quick and actionable. Let your email convey the same.
- Conveying the sense of urgency is another true sales tactic to increase the open rate. Phrases like “Last 20 minutes to go” or “Final Sale Countdown Begins” encourages your readers to act right away.
How Email Subject Lines Should Be Made?
Your email subject lines serve as a first point of contact and sometimes last impression.
Check out these top email subject lines styles that gets your emails instantly open.
When You’re Sending Informational Emails
These are busy readers; hence the readers of these emails thrive on efficiency. The subscribers need your email template design to be crisp and clear when it comes to subject lines. Their time is an asset, so be upfront about the information you are going to provide and make sure it is catchy.
- Our new product is here!!!
- Big news: Our new store is opening right near you!!
- Our next webinar is on September 30th
When You’re Sending Personal Emailers
We all love personal attention, whether it is from an individual or comes through email. Personal emails we all love. Adopt a personalized approach in your email subject lines help increases your audience engagement.
Include recipient’s first name as well as mark their recent purchases in the subject lines.
- Susy, Try these new pair of shoes
- Thank You for joining us, Jane
- It was great to meet you at Dreamforce, Jack
When You’re Sending Urgent Emailers
What do you think how these sales are getting all the limelight? It’s because the newsletters are designed with the sense of urgency, which urges people to act immediately. The email act as a responsibility of you may lose out something important.
You can create email subject lines for e.g.
- Don’t miss the last minutes deals
- Today Only: Save 70% on everything
- Only 1 day to register!!
When You’re Creating “How To” Emails
These kinds of emails are providing helpful insights to the audience. There is a benefit within where readers find it interesting to read. Hence; “How To” emails are way valuable to the audience compared to the other ones; the open rate score is high.
- How to remove stains
- How to save on your taxes
- How to save for your retirement
- How to grow your email lists
When You’re Sending Clever & Catchy Emails
A catchy email subject line can compete easily. To catchphrase the line is tough adding a little dash of humor, you must take care that the content doesn’t offend or confuse your audience. But if you know your audience very well, a clever joke can get your email opened and shared.
- Put that ring (tone) on it
- Keeps your hands warm
- Look like hot in Houston
When You’re Sending Emails To “Locals”
It is been witnessed that there is tremendous response of mailers when sent in the location specific languages and offers within. It shows reader that you care about the “locals” and have done their homework to know them. Your mailers proves that you have put effort in designing email template design which matches the local theme and specifically made for them.
Readers open such emailers out of curiosity even if they are least concerned about what carries inside. Readers are interested to know what new things are happening in their surroundings hence this is a great way to hook your readers.
In summary, the subject line of an email is the single line of text that people see when they receive your email. This is that one line of text which can often determine whether an email was opened or sent straight to trash, so make sure it’s optimized toward your audience.
With the above-mentioned tips in mind, you are all set to write good email subject lines which will get your emails all the attention they deserve.
Ready to do more business with email marketing?
Create engaging experiences that turn shoppers into buyers with our email marketing solutions.
Get The Best Email Marketing Solutions Here – emaillions.com